08 January 2009

According to today's Sagarin rankings, UNC is ranked fourth in men's college basketball, while Harvard is 205th. The link to these two lies at number 58, which leads me to wonder what the greatest ranking difference is between a win against a highly-ranked team followed by a loss to a lowly-ranked team. Virginia losing to Chaminade in 1982 jumps to mind, though techincally I don't know if it'd count given that Chaminade isn't in division I.

This is probably something I could brute force, at least for the last few years, by looking at past seasons on ESPN, though I don't think there's any sort of Sagarin archive (not that I'm wedded to using his rankings, but it add to the fun when you can point to a 201 position difference between teams).

No comments:

 Book Log Extra: New York Times 100 Best Books of the 21st Century The New York Times  took a break from trying to get Joe Biden to drop out...