04 April 2009

Book Log 2009 #9: American Nerd by Benjamin Nugent

There's a fair amount to like here, between the history of nerddom and visits to various nerd subcultures (sci-fi fans, high school debaters, anime conventioneers, etc.). This is intertwined with Nugent's personal experiences growing up as a nerd, which at the end of the book blossoms into a full-on apology for his turning away from his nerd friends. I wasn't as crazy about that part; getting paid to write and achieve some sort of theraputic goal is all well and good, but I didn't feel like it added enough to the book. I'm sure others will feel differently.

Anway, a worthy read about the story of what Nugent calls "my people."

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...