17 August 2009

One clear oversight in talking about turning 40 is that I didn't mention the surprise party the wife threw. Well, it was more of a 75 percent surprise party, as the night before the event the wife got on the phone with my sister, and the first couple of minutes of the conversation (from my end) went something like this:

"Yes."
"No."
"Yes."
"Yes."
"No."
etc.

It might surprise you that this is not how they normally converse. So I did have some idea that something was going to happen, but didn't realize the scope of things. At least until I got to Salem Beer Works and spent the afternoon with a variety of family, friends and co-workers. I'm assuming a good time was had by all, given the easy access to beer and a birthday cake shaped like beer.

So a belated thanks to the wife for making 40 that much less scary.

1 comment:

Allyson said...

I can speak for all three Harper-Nixons in attendance that we did, indeed, have a good time. Fried food, cake, pumpkin beer -- a delightful trifecta (in my opinion, anyway).

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...