03 June 2010

Book Log 2010 #12: The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

Known for writing thrillers, this marked a departure for Follett, as he wasn't someone who would be expected to write a cross-generational historical novel about the building of a cathedral. But that's exactly what he did, releasing this book in 1989 to moderate fanfare but strong word of mouth, building up to become his best-selling book of all time, helped by being named an Oprah's Book Club selection... in 2007.

I'll admit to having some reservations going in, as I wasn't sure how a thriller writer could realistically portray a story based around a 13th century building project. But what I didn't consider was that Follett's abilities as a story teller would allow him to create solid story lines from which he could develop the historical and architectural aspects. Because, really, it's not a book about building a cathedral but rather a book about the people involved with building the cathedral and how their lives intersect as the project starts and stops over the decades.

The only real complaint I have about the book is length - it clocks in at 976 pages, which really pushes the boundary between epic and tome. Otherwise, it's certainly recommended for anyone into historical fiction. There is also a sequel, World Without End, that I've not tackled yet due in no small part to it crossing the 1000 page threshold. I suppose I'm saving it for a time when I'm stuck in bed for a month.

1 comment:

Greg said...

This was also turned into a surprisingly good boardgame.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...