02 January 2012

I don't normally give out the coveted Blogalicious endorsement until I'm actually able to vote (Massachusetts doesn't hold their primary until March), but I figured I'd do so earlier this year to give voters in Iowa and New Hampshire one more data point to consider.

To my way of thinking, it's a pretty clear choice. There is one candidate in the field who:

1. Has executive experience, having been a governor.
2. Has foreign policy experience, having been an ambassador.
3. Is rational, noting in an early debate that the GOP is flirting with irrelevance if they become a party whose position on science patterns itself after the Catholic Church in the time of Galileo.

From that, it's probably obvious that Blogalicious endorses Jon Huntsman, Jr. for the Republican nomination for President.

The unfortunate thing is that he may not be in the race by the time I get to vote. The early states are not favorable for him. Iowa and South Carolina favor social conservatives, and South Carolina in close enough to Georgia to be a decent state for Newt Gingrich. Knowing this, Huntsman has focused solely on New Hampshire, which seems like a good state for him except that Mitt Romney (a) was governor of next-door Massachusetts, and (b) has a house in New Hampshire. Romney's also spent a fair amount of time in the state, keeping damage from Huntsman to a minimum.

Still, after looking at the entire field I don't think there's another major candidate that I could support. While I don't know much about him, I'm also thinking that former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson seems like a possibility, though we'll see where things are in a couple months. 

1 comment:

Mark said...

And to show how astute I am politically, Johnson dropped out of the Republican race late last year to run for the Libertarian nomination. No Libertarian primary in MA, so we'll see what November holds.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...