13 March 2012

Lentorama 2012: Know Your Diocese


Day 19: Diocese of Brooklyn


Not surprisingly, this diocese was formed when Brooklyn was a separate city from New York, forming in 1853. It includes Queens and used to include Long Island, which later split off into its own diocese.

The diocese is home to the only seminary high school in the country, Cathedral Prep. Its best known student was one that didn't graduate: Vince Lombardi. I imagine they wanted less cursing in the sermons.

Checking the diocese website, I was saddened to see no Hipster Ministry (it's also not clear if they're using artisinally baked wafers using genetically unmodified wheat). But I did notice that they're tying to get one of their own, Monsignor Bernard Quinn, canonized. He did some impressive work, volunteering as a chaplain in World War I, and then working to support African-American Catholics in Brooklyn, but I've not seen any discussion of miracles, which are pretty much required. Good luck.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...