04 April 2012

Lentorama 2012: Know Your Diocese

Day 38: Diocese of Poona

OK, language question. From what I can tell, Poona is also Pune. I was thinking that Poona was some sort of bastardization created by the English, but when I click through to the diocese website they use Poona. But then it lists Pune as one of the areas it covers. So maybe it's the Vatican that needs to update its usage?

Anyway, the diocese was formed in 1886, developed from work done by various priests sent to the area to offer service to Catholics in the military. There aren't that many Catholics in the area, and it seems like every time there was significant growth in the diocese a chunk would get cut off and moved to somewhere else. I'd be a little irritated if I were the bishop of Poona. Or Pune for that matter.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...