30 December 2013

Book Log 2013 #23: The Hidden Oasis by Paul Sussman

When a woman goes to Egypt after her sister dies, she discovers that there may have been more to her life there than meets the eye. When she connects with a local academic in the search for the titular hidden oasis - and the weapon it apparently contains - she stumbles into a world of intrigue that includes a local strongman and the CIA.

I didn't like this book as much as I liked Sussman's previous two books, and I think the reason is that the protagonist of those two books, Inspector Khalifa, only makes a cameo here. Without him and his perspective, this becomes more of a standard thriller, with Egypt serving as a generic backdrop.

I'd say skip this one and move on to the next Khalifa book.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...