27 May 2007

I'd not really picked a favorite for the Stanley Cup finals, as once my adopted team (Buffalo) went out, I didn't think I had a BU-related rooting interest. Turns out I was wrong; former Terrier Joe DiPenta plays for the Ducks, though given their short bench I don't know how much ice time he saw during the finals. Even better, the Senators have a player from the dreaded rival on their roster. It's not quite win-win-win, but it's not bad. I can only hope Joe brings the Cup to campus when he has his day with it, but I assume he'll take it home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Michigan players have won it, they brought it in to Michigan Stadium during a football game. Maybe Mr. DiPenta could do that...oh wait...never mind.

Paul Crowley said...

Once again, I am left somewhat mystified at the Canadian psyche. Their desperation over the 15 consecutive seasons now that the Stanley Cup has been won by an American team shows no bounds. Bandwagon jumpers abound. Hated rivals become beloved champions come Stanley Cup time when a Canadian squad makes the final. That it's happened three consecutive seasons and that the three winners have all been from about as far from Canada as you can get (Tampa Bay, Carolina and Anaheim) makes it even more fun to watch - their pain!

The reason I am always so befuddled by this mania is that in all three cases, there were more Canadian born players on the winning team than on the losing Canadian owned team. Historically, the Canadian teams couldn't afford the high-priced local talent and ended up purchasing the cheaper European variants. The new collective bargaining agreement is supposed to solve that, which perhaps explains how the Canadian teams are going farther in the playoffs, but it is still fun to watch the local hockey fanatics squirm and moan each June as yet another bandwagon favourite falls by the wayside.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...