09 May 2015

Book Log 2015 #10: The American Plate: A History of the United States in 100 Bites by Libby O'Connell

This book should have been right up my alley, but I never quite connected with it. Not sure why, given that it combines American and food history, both of which really interest me. I do have two theories:

1. I was already familiar enough with the "bites" that start the book that I got bored and didn't bother to skip ahead.

2. Overly pedantic expectations about what "bite" meant. Several of the entries aren't bites at all, and there was some repetition (Thanksgiving was covered by at least 2 or 3 bites).

Likely it was parts of both of these. You should give it a shot.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...