15 June 2018

Book Log 2018 #21: Elegy for April by Benjamin Black

So I'm three books into the Quirke series, and still unsure how I feel about it. I still don't get a sense as to why he investigates the crimes that bring the bodies to his morgue, though I'm not sure he does, either. I'm guessing there's a similar dynamic at work with Quirke himself, as I can't quite call him a hero or an anti-hero. He's not far enough towards either extreme.

But I'm still reading them, so it can't be all bad, can it?

In this outing, a friend of Quirke's niece/daughter Phoebe has gone missing, and asks Quirke for help in figuring out what exactly happened to her (OK, in this case I do get why Quirke is involved). As with the other books, Quirke uncovers some of the less savory parts of living in 1950s Dublin, running into entrenched attitudes and powerful clergymen as is usual.

I will likely keep up with the series, even if I can't quite put my finger on why I'm doing so.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...