06 November 2018

 Book Log 2018 #42: Skyfaring by Mark Vanhoenacker

I heard about this book on Rick Steves' radio show/podcast, and was interested to read an account about flying written by a commercial pilot. I didn't expect it to be fully a tell-all/behind the scenes account, but I wasn't expecting something that was so reflective and philosophical. This actually wound up being more of a problem than you might expect, as I had a really hard time connecting with the book. Whether that was due to my expectations or that I don't have the sort of flying experience to fully appreciate the author's reflections I don't know.

Admittedly, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about flying, even when I am flying. I tend to think more about plummeting (or the continued lack thereof). I'm not a nervous flyer, but can't really sleep on planes and my brain likes to go places when it's not otherwise engaged.

In any event, I think this is probably worth checking out if you spend a lot of time in the friendly skies, either as a passenger or crew member.


No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...