09 October 2021

 Book Log 2021 #52: The Ghosts of Belfast by Stuart Neville

Gerry Fagan is a former paramilitary assassin, who finds himself haunted by the ghosts of those he killed. Their demand of him: seek vengance against those who ordered their deaths. He is willing to give them this, but has to do so in a new Northern Ireland, where the peace process and new government are trying to put the lid on violence. Not to mention, some of these new leaders stand to lose if the public are reminded of past events.

Complicating matters is Fagan's growing interest in the daughter of a man whom the ghosts want revenge against. She's not only well connected in the world Fagan inhabits, but she also has a daughter by a cop. Balancing his personal desires with spectral demands may wind up being too much.

I'm not sure how I feel about this book, I mostly like it but find the supernatural tinge a little woo-woo for my taste. I also went into it with Goodreads calling it the first book in the Jack Lennon series, even though he barely appears in the book. I may have been distracted by waiting for him to take on a larger role in the story. In any case, it was good enough that I'm likely going to read on.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...