30 October 2006

My enthusiasm for the new college hockey season - or perhaps I should say BU's role in it - appears to have been a little misplaced, as the Icedogs have limped out of the gate. (It didn't help that I thought we only lost 3 seniors last season - that was the season before - when we actually lost twice as many, including our entire first line).

2-1-1 doesn't look like too much of a limp, but consider that comes against RPI, Northeastern, Merrimack, and Lowell, who are a combined 7-10-6. Granted, NU managed to beat Michigan this past weekend (thanks to a goalie who made 45 saves), but this isn't exactly Murderer's Row.

(On the other hand, consider the sad case of UNH, who beat North Dakota out there twice, only to return home to lose to UMass and Yale. I saw the OT for the latter, where UNH had an overtime goal disallowed due to a quick whistle - some things never change in Hockey East - and then gave up the game-winner on the next shift down ice. Beautiful.)

I suppose I shouldn't complain - this start is pretty much on track with the last three editions of the Icedogs - but the way they're playing, and with an upcoming run of Maine, at UNH, and at Vermont, I'm nervous.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...