20 October 2006

So tonight is the first home game of the new college hockey season (the Icedogs went up to Troy last week and salvaged a 4-4 tie with RPI). I have to say I'm pretty excited, more so than in past years. I've been walking around the office all morning supressing the urge to check co-workers into the walls.

I think I'm more excited because I have more optimism going into this season than in the recent past. The team is coming off of a great season (NCAA tournament result notwithstanding), and while they'll be pressed to repeat their run of Beanpot title and Hockey East regular season and tournament titles, they've got the players to do it.

There was some temptation to run a college hockey top 10 here to compliment the football top 10, but I think I'm a little too close to things. I'd probably keep BU too high, and would have significant problems the other way with the team up the street. I'd rather break my keyboard than use it to put them at the top spot.

2 comments:

Paul Crowley said...

How are the lady dawgs, doing? I saw an pre-season poll ranking them in the top 10. Unbelievable given how young the program is. Are they for real? (I'm secretly hoping Emily will play for the lady Terriers some day)

Mark said...

They're undefeated going into this weekend, having taken two games each off of Robert Morris and RPI. Neither are exactly powerhouses. They open Hockey East play this weekend with two against Vermont, which should be a better test (though they're not at the top of the league).

The preseason Hockey East poll had them third, which is pretty good given the age of the program. I think it helps that they've been building the groundwork for a while, and they're only one of two programs that has its own rink. The real test will be at the end of the month, when they have to play at UNH and up the street.

You could do worse than have Emily suit up for the Lady Icedogs. Lady Terriers? Icebitches?

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...