28 June 2009

It's back to work tomorrow after six weeks off to transition into being a family of three, and I'll admit to feeling a little anxious. Less so about the baby, who I'll miss but know will be in good hands with mom (mother? mommy? not sure how I'll make the reference here). More so about going back to a job after six weeks away without knowing what's been done to change things. I do expect there will be changes - my boss isn't one to let things stand pat, which is overall a good thing - but won't feel completely comfortable until I learn about them.

You would also think after that much time at home with a new baby that I'd have stories to share (but just haven't gotten to, given the lack of posting about the baby). But I don't, as something like 98 percent of a newborn's time is spent doing three things: eating, sleeping, or filling diapers (and not necessarily each in turn; multitasking is apparently an inborne trait).

Which isn't to say that there's nothing remarkable. Getting to see the little bundle grow and develop, even in these early stages, is something I'd not trade for anything. Well, I'd trade the periods of screaming we seem to be into now, but not the times where I get an actual smile and a little "goo"-like noise. I'd not trade watching him sleep, or his grabbing at my finger, or watching him flip himself on to his back (though that seems to be done more to get off of his tummy, which he's not fond of yet). Or any of a million little things that make up the other two percent of what he does, things that in and of themselves aren't notable in the abstract, but are vital when they're done by one small human.

So I really have to go back to work tomorrow?

2 comments:

Greg said...

BTW, thank you very much for consistently acknowledging that you were still a family when it was just you two. Very little peeves me more--and you know I have myself some peeves.

Unknown said...

It took Teddy many months to be comfortable on his tummy. Of course now we sometimes look in on him at night to find him sleeping in what amounts to downward facing dog.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...