25 August 2010

Book Log 2010 #30: The Cavalier of the Apocalypse by Susanne Alleyn

As best as I can tell, Susanne Alleyn likes to work out of sequence. This is the third book in her historical mystery series, which is set in revolutionary France and features writer-turned-detective Aristide Ravel, but is chronologically the first. The first and second released books are third and fourth chronologically, while her upcoming book, the fourth in the series, happens second. This bothers me more than it should, as I like to read series in order.

But as much as it may bother me, I wills say I enjoyed this book quite a bit. We're introduced to Ravel as a potential suspect in what appear to be Masonically-tinged killings. Ravel has to work to clear his name, and in the process teams up with a police inspector who will become his partner in future books. And while I'm not particularly interested in the French Revolution, it's a smart period to set a mystery series, what with the increased violence and all.

Solid start to a series, certainly enough to have me continue along.

2 comments:

Susanne Alleyn said...

You'll have to blame my publisher for the crazy sequence -- I had a specific order planned, but with my second 2-book contract, they said "we like this idea, and this one, but not this..." And when publishers say "jump," authors say "how high?" :-D

Glad you enjoyed the novel, though!

Susanne
P.S. Should it be relevant to you, GAME OF PATIENCE is now (finally) available for Kindle, and A TREASURY OF REGRETS will be shortly.

Mark said...

Thanks for the explanation - I should have suspected something like that!

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...