08 April 2011

Book Log 2011 #7: The Fort by Bernard Cornwell

I think I like the idea for this book - a retelling of the doomed Penobscot Expedition of 1779 - more than the execution. It's not a bad book, but it never quite clicked for me. Enjoyable, nicely written, but not especially memorable. But I do give him props for writing a story located in the wife's former neck of the woods, as I got to transpose the old names and locations into current ones http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif(though admittedly Cornwell does give a healthy dose of this at the start of the book).

My other observation is that there was a pretty big gap between The Given Day and this book, caused in no small part to an attempt to read The Count of Monte Cristo on Stanza. It is way too long a book to read on a phone. I don't expect that reading a physical copy of the book would have helped, as it was taking an awful long time for Dantes to get around to his revenge. I eventually bailed, leaving my main impression of the book to come from the Mr. Magoo adaptation.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...