02 March 2013

Lentorama 2013: There's a Name for That

Day 16: paten

The paten can be one of two things, a rare case of double duty. It can be the shallow dish or bowl that holds hosts prior to consecration (and can be used by lay ministers to hold consecrated hosts for distribution during communion). It can also be the metal plate with handle attached that's thrust under the chin of those taking communion by mouth to catch the host if it falls or if part of the host doesn't make it into the person's mouth.

I had to operate the paten in my altar boy days (this was when communion by hand was just becoming popular), and I don't think I ever had to catch a host on it Which is a good thing, as my hand-eye coordination wasn't great.  

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...