22 November 2015

Book Log 2015 #36: World Gone By by Dennis Lehane

The final book in the Coughlin trilogy sees an older Joe trying to come to grips with the changes to the underworld brought by the end of Prohibition, World War II, and the opening up of Cuba. Joe is as comfortable as ever moving among criminals and the straight world - from high rollers to military intelligence - but there's a pall over things as events of the past start to catch up with him.

It's a fitting end to the trilogy, underscoring the brutal efficiency that maintains power for those who run criminal organizations. I'm glad that I overcame my original reluctance over reading The Given Day so that I didn't miss out on these three books.

(Popsugar Reading Challenge: Read a trilogy)

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...