30 November 2017

Book Log 2017 #7: Green Earth by Kim Stanley Robinson

This is an edited-down version of the Science in the Capital trilogy, which I decided to pick up as I had read 40 Signs of Rain and really liked it, but never got to the other two books (mostly because I'm too cheap to actually buy books).

While I generally liked the book I wasn't a fan of some of the major choices made by the author, between a lot of attention going to who I thought of as a supporting character (including a weird romantic subplot that I didn't care for at all) and the way in which the youngest child of the family that I thought of as the main characters is used as some sort of spiritual pawn. But I do like the idea of using climate change for a realistic sci-fi novel of how government may (or may not) address the issue, what a changing climate might look like, and how we can try to remedy the problem.

I don't think the issue here is the revision - Robinson thinks the single volume flows better than the three novels (as he says in this discussion of condensing the trilogy), and I can't say he's wrong - but is more of personal taste. So if you like Robinson's work I do think this is worth reading.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...