15 December 2018

 Book Log 2018 #50: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

Finally, the last entry for 2018, and I will say it ended on a high note. Set during World War II, this book tells the stories of a blind French girl and a German boy adept with electronics, and how their paths eventually cross as they try to survive the war.

I had no problem getting sucked into this book, as the story is richly told with the sort of detail you'd want from a historical novel, with an additional layer of personal triumphs and tragedies for both of the main characters. I did read one review that faulted the use of modern American style and language, which I admit I didn't notice. Probably not surprising being an American and all.

I really enjoyed this, and was happy to read a World War II novel whose main characters weren't spies or doomed lovers (no offense to Alan Furst, of course, but it's nice to have a change of pace). Definitely recommended.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...