06 April 2019

 Book Log 2019 #10: Vengeance by Benjamin Black

Irish pathologist Quirke gets involved in another death, though this one is clearly a suicide. What's odd about it is that the deed was intentionally committed with a witness, the son of the dead man's business partner. The mystery, a question of why rather than who. A second death further confuses the issue, leaving Quirke (and police detective Hackett) to wade through the personal and professional entanglements of two families.

I was going to say I'm still on the fence about this series, but as I keep reading the books I can't be that much on the fence. The central mystery is fine, I'm still not sure why Quirke is as attractive to women as he apparently is, and I would like to spend a little more time with his family (specifically his brother, who was a significant character in earlier books but has since faded to the background). All things considered once you get five books into a series you're more or less committed.


No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...