15 May 2020

 Book Log 2020 #23: Notes from a Young Black Chef by Kwame Onwuachi

Like a lot of people, I first became familiar with Kwame through his appearance on Top Chef, where he finished sixth. He was probably my favorite chef from that season, and looked forward to reading about how he developed his interest in cooking, both generally and for the food from Nigeria.

Turns out both stem from a difficult childhood, which saw him sent to live in Nigeria for two years to "learn respect." That maybe didn't take as well as hoped - Kwame would continue to get into trouble - but it did set his culinary roots. Moving to Louisiana after getting expelled from college reconnected him with his interest in cooking as a career, which led to enrolling at the Culinary Institute of America, and everything that followed.

I do like that Kwame doesn't try to make excuses, or at least not transparent ones, about the choices he made. I also don't know if he would make different ones if given a second chance. As tough as it was to struggle and grind, it's quite possible he'd not be as successful as a chef if he'd taken an easier path. I did find this to be one of the more interesting chef memoirs I've read.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...