23 July 2021

 Book Log 2021 #37: The Last Kind Words Saloon by Larry McMurtry

A reading challenge I was doing had a Western as one of its requirements, and I thought I would read Lonesome Dove. But then I saw how long it was, and opted for this much shorter McMurtry work.  In hindsight, I should have sucked it up and gone with my original plan.

Like Lonesome Dove it's set in a rapidly taming American West, but in this case it follows Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp from Texas to Denver to Tombstone. It's not a typical Western in that it's more about the journey than the fight that waits at the end. I just didn't care that much about the journey as presented. I also didn't find it to be a humorous as some did (Joyce Carol Oates blurbed it as "comically subversive," which I didn't get at all). 

Maybe I just don't read enough Westerns to get this one.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...