18 August 2021

 Book Log 2021 #44: Sweetness and Blood by Michael Scott Moore

This book details how surfing spread from Hawaii to California and then to the world, with the author checking out the surf scene in locations as disparate as Germany, Gaza, Cuba, and Morocco. While his investigations into the roots of surfing in these locations were interesting and often insightful as to how surfing fits in with the local culture, I did find it odd that he didn't go to some of the more notable surf areas, like Australia, Tahiti, or Nazare, the Portuguese town known for its gigantic waves. Maybe those stops were too obvious.

I did like this book, but I think I was looking for a different book about surfing when I checked this one out. Never did figure out what that book was supposed to be, but this was a pretty good alternative.

Not long after writing this book Moore was kidnapped while researching Somali piracy, and was held captive for three years before being ransomed. I have not read his book about that ordeal, but may have to soon.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...