07 January 2022

 Book Log 2022 #3: Inspector Saito's Small Satori by Janwillem van de Wetering

I've wandered in and out of van de Wetering's series featuring Amsterdam detectives Grijpstra and de Gier, liking them well enough but not so motivated as to actually finish the series. The author has a background in both Zen Buddhism and police work, and combining the two results in an unusual take on the genre.

With this book, van de Wetering shifts more towards the Zen side of the equation. Inspector Saito is young and relatively new at his job, and relies on his Zen training and logical mind to both solve cases and manage his position within the department. They're good stories, and I think the combination of detective fiction and Buddhist philosophy may work better in this format (though that could say more about me and my relative inexperience with the subject than anything).

As far as I can this is the only book of Inspector Saito stories, which is too bad. I think I'd have read more of them... eventually.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...