12 March 2009

It' s been a big week for baby news, with today being the fourth day in a row of various appointments.

Monday saw us attend our first birthing class. We're one of six couples, all first-timers, who are looking to get the low down on how this is going to play out. We're the only couple who doesn't know our child's gender, while there's another couple who are the only one going the natural childbirth route.

And by the information imparted in our first class, good luck to them. We didn't even get into pushing and it already looks painful. Suffice it to say that if the purpose of the class is to ease our fears about the birthing process, it's not being wholly successful.

We were also given homework, and what better way to do it than solicit feedback on the Internet? For those of you out there who've been through this, what relaxation techniques or practices did you use during labor?

Tuesday was a follow up visit that I didn't attend.

Wednesday was yet another ultrasound, where we got estimated weight and they did a check on the level of amniotic fluid. Not sure why our doctor asked for that, though given the estimated weight of 3 pounds, 14 ounces, he might have worried about there being enough room. Compare that weight to the average for week 30. Of course, I've also read that fetal weight estimates from ultrasounds can be up to a pound off. Let's just hope in our case it's not a pound low.

I've slowly become resigned to the fact that the ultrasounds are never going to be as clear as I would like. Still, facial features were a bit more obvious this time around, which is something.

Today we're back to our OB (actually the practice's midwife, our doctor is on vacation), and we're apparently moving into visits every 2 weeks now. No surprises expected, but I guess you never really expect a surprise, do you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My first piece of advice would have been to take the one-day class instead of the multi-session one, especially because Sarah will be having the drugs (which are awesome, by the way).

I would say I relaxed by watching TV. Lots of Discovery Channel and game shows. To this day Ted seems to really enjoy Cash Cab and How It's Made. I was in the bed for most of my labor, though, so no walking the halls, bouncing on birthing balls, stretching or back rubs for me. I was GBS-positive so I was hooked up to an IV as soon as I checked in. With the IV, I also got a fetal heart monitor and a mommy heart monitor strapped across my belly, frequent blood pressure checks and, eventually, the blood oxygen checker that clips on your finger. Getting up to pee meant unhooking the monitors and struggling with the IV pole, so it was easier to just stay where I was.

 Book Log Extra: New York Times 100 Best Books of the 21st Century The New York Times  took a break from trying to get Joe Biden to drop out...