01 June 2002

The deed is done. We passed papers on the house yesterday.

My role in the process was by and large ceremonial. Not being on the deed, I had no need to sign anything, so instead I watched my brother and sister sign a few things. I felt bad for the father of the buyer (the buyer still being in Texas, his dad had power of attorney for this), as he must have signed about 50 documents while I was there. I hate to think how many he signed after we left; the stack of paperwork was at least three inches thick.

Watching this process makes me think living in rent-free college owned apartments isn't such a bad thing. It just gets to be a hassle if you want to come and go as you please, have friends over without worrying about security or parking, or get a dog. Or have kids, for that matter.

Anyway, after the legal stuff we had the celebrating. Much, much celebrating. Not much to give by way of details, but if you are in Salem, Massachusetts over the summer you should take a trip out to the Rockmore Drydock's floating bar (I think they call it a floating restaurant, but it's really a bar with food). A little pricey, but fun for a drink or two.

Along for the day was Bob, the owner of the restaurant where my sister works. I don't think he quite knew what he was getting into, but he didn't seem to mind.

I took the train in, so I got to check out a couple of possible wedding reception sites. One is the Peabody Essex Musuem, which I have a personal pull towards, as I went there a lot in fourth grade as part of an academically talented program (which they later changed all around and screwed up royally). Nice musuem, but they may not have a room of the right size for us. Our estimated size falls right between what all the rooms can handle.

The other place is Hamilton Hall, one of those random old civil buildings that seem to crop up from place to place in eastern Massachusetts. It may be too much building for us. It also has no parking.

So, all in all, quite the day out, the importance of which perhaps hasn't fully sunk in quite yet.

No comments:

Lentorama 2024: Clerical Crime Solvers Day 40: Cadfael Born in Wales, Cadfael left home to become as servant to a wool merchant in the Engli...