13 April 2006

Lentorama 2006 Saint of the Day: St. Caradoc

"Welsh hermit and harpist." I suppose if you're going to be a hermit, having an instrument will help kill some of the down time.

Not much to tell about Caradoc. Early on he was in service to a local king, and one story says he left after losing the king's greyhounds. He turned to the hermit life at that point, moving at one point due to an invasion by King Henry I. I saw one source suggesting that Caradoc had been martyred, but usually that's something Catholic Online would mention, and their entry had not a peep.

There was also a source (which I think was the same one that mentioned the greyhounds) that said Caradoc had never been canonized, but was held as a saint by the rank and file since his death in the 12th century. Not sure how that works, but if I were Valentine or Christopher I'd be pissed.

It also seems that Caradoc originally hails from the same part of Wales as one of the wife's uncles. He doesn't play the harp, though.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...