14 September 2006

So you've likely heard by now that the alma mater is "banning swearing" at hockey games. I put that in quotes because, for the most part, an individual who drops the f-bomb probably isn't going to be shown the door. It's not Singapore.

Really, this is intended to curtail the more ritualistic use of curses by the student section, who've been using them with increasing frequency in various cheers. I won't say fans didn't swear back in the day - a familiar cheer when I first started to go to BU suggested that BC inhales excrement. The cheer gained popularity before my time, but it wasn't too long after I started going there that the word came down that that cheer was off-limits. The band didn't play the music associated with the cheer, and the cheer faded into history, for the most part.

I can't say I've been offended at the increase in swearing, but I do think it's a bit out of hand. And from the university's perspective, I can't imagine the cursing helps to bring people into the arena. Not to mention how it sounds during the increasing number of games that are shown on TV.

All that said, it's going to be hard to enforce. I think it's more likely that bench minors and NCAA fines will do the trick, but keep an eye on the news the night that BU opens at home.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Anyone concerned at all with fan swearing has clearly not spent a second in an athletic department.

The Grim Reaper said...

I'd rather have cursing than the scripted spontaneity of Yost Ice Arena.

Chris

Mark said...

Part of it is that we're getting the cursing and the Yost-like spontaneity. There have been May Day parades in Pyongyang that were less predictable than the cheers from the student section.

Paul Crowley said...

#@!#! #&*%!?#

What you **ing mean I can't swear at those goat molesting eagle fans at a hockey game. Where's the fun in that.

Watch out for what's next. I recall a t-shirt I had back in the day showing Rhett mounting an eagle with the caption, "Terrier's do it doggie style". Somehow, I gather the BU moral police wouldn't appreciate that at the games. LOL!

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...