26 September 2007

Back to trivia last night, resulting in what might be the oddest win I've been involved with, which I'll detail in answering the questions:

What was the name of the enemy dojo in The Karate Kid? Cobra Kai
- generationally, I'm the person on the team that should have gotten this. I wasn't. Then again, I don't think I've seen the original all the way through. The one where they go to Japan? Several times. I have no explanation.

Who is the oldest player to hit a home run in the MLB All Star Game? Cal Ripken, Jr. (Paul) - I was pushing for Carlton Fisk, but he has the record for oldest player with a hit. The guy I worked with came up with Ripken, thankfully.

What basketball player once challenged NBA commissioner David Stern to a naked wrestling match? Dennis Rodman - really, who else would it be? Some thought was given to Ron Artest, but this made too much sense.

What is the name of Jack Nicholson's character in A Few Good Men? Colonel Nathan R. Jessup (Hyph) - nothing special here, just one of the tougher questions of the night.

Who competes in the Olympics using the following codes: ISL, PUR, TPE? ISL - Iceland (Mike B.), PUR - Puerto Rico (Paul), TPE - Taiwan (Mike B.) - the bonus round was to name ten countries based on their Olympic country code. We were the only team to get Iceland, as everyone else went with Israel. Taiwan wasn't one of the ten, but after Iceland and Puerto Rico the rest were pretty straightforward, so I thought I'd add another harder one.

How many horses have won the Triple Crown - 5, 8, or 11? Eleven - this was the final question, which irritated the hell out of me because (a) we didn't know it, and (b) by being multiple choice, it increased the odds that someone would win on a guess. Didn't work out that way, as everyone guessed incorrectly and everyone bet all their points (we were gunning for the perfect game, otherwise we'd have done the math).

To the nearest hundred, how many Applebees restaurants are there in the US? 1700 - I think the host got this from the restaurant manager, who told us the exact number but I can't remember it. We guessed 511, which seems comically low until you consider the other guesses, none of which went north of 400. The comparative lack of Applebees in New England worked to our advantage, and we took the win.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ISL is Iceland, TPE is Taiwan.

Anonymous said...

Nicholson was Col. Nathan R.(?) Jessup.

I believe that 8 horses have won the triple crown.

Paul Crowley said...

PUR would be Puerto Rico I believe. Interestingly enough Guam competes as GUM. Apparantly the territories and commonwealths get to compete on their own.

Also, Cal Ripken launched one in his last all-star game. At the time I remember thinking (before he hit it) that his selection to the team was simply a charity case and others deserved to play. I am still removing the foot from my mouth.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...