12 September 2007

Went back to trivia last night, where we had the Whose Line is it Anyway? game, wherein we missed two questions going into the final question and finished last. Had I only gotten the million points for Party Quirks...

I don't remember most of the questions, but I do have a few:

George Alan O'Dowd was the lead singer of what band? Culture Club (JQ) - we got this one wrong because the guy who was writing answers down put "The Country Club" rather than Culture Club. Someone did see this, but as she was only partially paying attention her objections were not particularly strong. This is what we get for sitting right next to the speaker.

How many years had the genie been stuck in the lamp in the animated Disney film Aladdin? 10,000 years - I was able to justify an answer for an earlier question on the film by noting I'd seen it the previous week. I then had to recant a bit and note that I'd only seen the opening. Thankfully, we did get the question from the part of the movie I saw. I just needed to keep watching.

What 1996 film co-starred David Schwimmer and Gwyneth Paltrow? The Pallbearer (G. Reaper) - after the Culture Club debacle, I was allowed to write this one down. That's about the only interesting thing with this question, which just seemed random. I assume the guy running the game saw it on cable over the weekend.

What MLB pitcher, in his career, faced Roger Maris, Sammy Sosa, and Mark McGwire? Nolan Ryan (G. Reaper) - this was the final question, and the guy who writes the answers down immediately came up with Tom Seaver. He was sure of it, which I now learned is only a true indication of being correct about 85 percent of the time. He picked a bad time to land in that other 15 percent. Turns out Seaver retired after 1986, while Sammy brought his cork and nandralone show to the bigs in 1989.

The more interesting part of the night was watching the Sox game. I predicted a 15-11 finish, we got 16-10. I say my prediction is still good, it's just the accounting that's off.

2 comments:

The Grim Reaper said...

#3 - The Pallbearer - right up my alley

#4 - Nolan Ryan

JQ said...

#1 -- Culture Club

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...