17 September 2008

The Blogalicious College Football Games of the Week

Wednesday - Kansas State at Louisville. I don't think there was ever a time where this would be a good football game, and at this point it wouldn't even be a good basketball game. And isn't it a little early in the year to be starting in on the Wednesday games? Couldn't ESPN give us two baseball games with playoff implications? Score: Louisville 9, Kansas State 4

Thursday - West Virginia at Colorado. Both teams have had a week off - the Mountaineers to stew in their loss to East Carolina, Colorado after their win over Eastern Washington. I can't imagine either team is in a good mood (Colorado only won by 7), but I'll take the team that really has something to prove. Score: West Virginia 24, Colorado 6

Friday - Baylor at Connecticut. The least essential match-up of the year. I think Baylor is under the assumption that UConn is still 1-AA, and by the end of things they'll wish that assumption was true. And then they get to play Oklahoma! Also, I promise that this is the last time I feature Baylor, this is more pub than they deserve. Score: UConn 35, Baylor 0

Saturday (early) - Iowa at Pittsburgh. The Big 10 has six early games. This is the only one not on the Big 10 Network. FAU-Minnesota is, as is the looming bloodbath of Penn State-Temple. I assumed this was because ESPN would show it, but apparently not. More fun with programming from these folks. Anyway, I'm willing to bet that the loser of this game sacks their coach before the end of the season. Adios, Kirk. Score: Pitt 6, Iowa 4

Saturday (mid-afternoon) - Florida at Tennessee. When was the last time this game was played where one of the teams wasn't ranked? It was 2002, when the Gators went to Knoxville and won 30-13. That makes things easy. Score: Florida 30, Tennessee 13

Saturday (night) - Massachusetts at Texas Tech. I suppose it's games like this that helps Our State U offer hockey, so I'll give them my best on the way to the slaughter. You don't eke out a win over Holy Cross and then hope to keep up with the Big XII's resident offensive circus. Score: Texas Tech 66, UMass 3

Last week: 2-3
Season: 6-9

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there something I don't know about college football scoring or are you really predicting that in two different games there will be two safeties by the same school? You've got both Kansas State and Iowa with final scores of 4.

Mark said...

The first 4 was more or less random. I used the second one because the Iowa-Pitt game kind of reminds me of the Iowa-Penn State game from a few years back that ended 6-4.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...