14 October 2018

 Book Log 2018 #39: The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu

This is the first book of a trilogy where we make first contact with an alien civilization, with the result that (spoiler alert) the aliens decide they want to invade Earth.  This is a very simple statement of the plot, which folds in a variety of historical, philosophical, and scientific detail. It's one of those books that I enjoyed even though I constantly felt like I was missing something.

Part of that might be due to the book being translated from Chinese. I also wonder if there's a cultural difference between Eastern and Western science fiction that might account for some of this. Of course, it could just be that the book was operating at a level above the amount of work I put in to reading it.

All that being said, if you're into science fiction it's very much worth reading.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...