24 October 2018

 Book Log 2018 #40: The Dante Chamber by Matthew Pearl

I was a big fan of The Dante Club (which I apparently read before logging books, or maybe I just forgot to log it), so I was looking forward to this sequel, which moves the action to London, where a number of murders tied into Dante lead to the fear that artist and writer Dante Gabriel Rossetti will be the next victim. A litany of English literary figures, from Rossetti's sister Christina to Browning and Tennyson are enlisted to find Rossetti and figure out who is committing these murders - and why.

I was somewhat disappointed in the book, though I have a hard time articulating why. It could be I found the first novel more to my interests (being set in the Boston area), or perhaps I set my expectations too high. In any case, it's not a bad book, and I do like Pearl's novels generally, so I do think it's worth a look. Just keep your expectations in check.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...