18 February 2021

 Book Log 2021 #9: The Summons by John Grisham

Ray Atlee is a law professor at the University of Virginia, and while he's recently divorced he has a pretty good life. But then he gets the titular summons - his father, a judge in Mississippi, requests that Ray and his brother Forrest return home to discuss the disposition of the judge's estate. Ray reluctantly returns, only to find his father dead in his study. Problematic as this may be, there are two further complications: Ray discovers something unexpected - and potentially illegal - in the house, and there is apparently someone else who knows about this.

I haven't read anything by Grisham in some time - I've moved away from legal thrillers in general outside of Scott Turow - but tucking into this book reminded me of why I read them in the first place. The lively pace and well-crafted twists keeps you engaged in the book, papering over the places where plot and/or character may be a little thin. I didn't necessarily like the book, but wanted to keep going to see how things turned out. 

I don't know that I'll go back to reading Grisham regularly, but an occasional visit might work.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...