02 March 2021

 Book Log 2021 #12: Kirby: King of Comics by Mark Evanier

I am not much of a comic book person, and wouldn't have picked this up except it fit a reading challenge I was doing. I had heard of Jack Kirby, didn't know much about him, and am now glad I had a chance to read about his extraordinary life and career. Suffice it to say if you've ever watched a movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, you've seen the fruits of Kirby's labor (though he also worked for DC and other publishers, so you've probably seen his work outside of the MCU, too).

There's a fair amount of struggle in this story - from getting into comics to his eventual break from Marvel and Stan Lee - but there's a lot of success, and it's all captured in engaging prose written by someone who is an obvious comics fan. It was very accessible to someone like me, who has rudimentary knowledge of the comics industry, and is well worth reading if you want to kmow a little more.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...