11 March 2002

Hey, a lot's gone on since my last missive, so it's update time.

New Home As you've noticed, I've moved things over to Blogspot, a companion site to Blogger. I'm not done quite yet, I think, given that I'm not 100 percent sure how or when the archives will work. As I think about it the link I have to the archives is set for the GeoCities site, so that's one obvious problem.

I'm still not truly familiar with how Blogspot works, in part because it seems like it was set up to handle new blogs more than serve as a place to transfer old ones. In any event, it may take me a while to work out the kinks, so your patience is more than appreciated!

Radio Daze If you missed my radio debut (and I'm sure most of you did, given the hour), you can listen to the archive by clicking here. More wackiness this Wednesday at 7 AM EST!

Indiana is Flat I was out at DePauw University for a trash tournament, and had my first foray into Indiana that didn't consist of driving through it to get to Michigan. My first real look at the state was from the plane, and I noticed that the land went pretty quickly from farms to subdivisions to Indianapolis. The downtown, from the air, reminded me of driving past downtown Springfield on the Mass Pike, in that the tall buildings are really concentrated in one area. The RCA Dome dominates the landscape, both from air and ground levels.

Indiana may be the northnernmost southern state, based on its rural nature and the proto-southern accent that most of the locals have. I was also able to have RC Cola and a Moon Pie together, something I couldn't even get done in Tennessee! I have to admit, I don't see where the combination is all that transcendent, though I did like the pairing. I also thought RC was a lot less sweet than Coke or Pepsi, though I'd have to get them all together to compare.

The weather was interesting, as it was 70 degrees when I arrived and was at least 50 degrees colder 24 hours later. Well, perhaps it was only 40 degrees colder, but the wind was moving pretty quickly, so wind chill would be way up. We got rain and snow, too.

Tournament went OK; we finished third, losing three games by something like 100 points. I was the second leading scorer, small comfort really. The worst I can say about the event is that the DePauw team is new at things, and may need a little more direction in writing questions. I had started the day ready to term the event Lemur Bowl West, but it was hardly that chaotic or geek-driven (though there did seem to be more video game questions than usual, but that's not necessarily a geek issue).

BU Makes the Tournament! Got to actually see a little of the conference title game during a bye at the tournament, and thus witness some of the domination. I'm still a little puzzled at how we got a 16 seed, given the records of some of the higher seeds (though the weakening of the conference from last year must have played a major role).

While the thought of playing Cincinnati in the first round worries me, I do think we are playing the least fundamentally sound of the top seeds. And, given the way that program runs, there is the off chance that players will get suspended or made academically ineligible between now and game time. I mean, the Bearcats have a zero percent graduation rate, so anything's possible off the court.

I at least don't have it as bad as my office-mate Brian, whose alma mater, Holy Cross, gets to play Kansas in the first round. I'm sure Kansas won't have any latent anger from their Big 12 title game loss carrying over.

I think that's it for now. Perhaps more later, as I have this feeling I'm forgetting something.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...