05 March 2002

I am writing this entry from the NASPA national conference "technology center" (basically a big room full of computers) in the Hynes Convention Center in Boston. NASPA is the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, one of two national organizations for people who do what I do (and, more broadly, for folks who do anything student affairs related).

There are two things to do at a conference like this. One is to go to sessions and get some professional development on issues and topics of interest or importance. For example, the first session I went to yesterday was on campus codes, creeds, and covenants, which doesn't sound all that exciting (and, to be honest, it wasn't), but given Babson's interest in developing traditions, it provided an opportunity to see how adopting a school creed could be used to foster tradition.

The other thing you can do is look for a job. I'm not (moving twice in a year is enough for me), but the cattle call of applicants is both impressive and frightening. It probably doesn't help that the server that automates the process has gone down at least twice.

Actually, there is a third thing you can do at the conference: schmooze. I'm not very good at it, as I don't know a lot of people here, but there are some folks who are quite adept at the practice (I'm looking at you, Shawn). It's a good thing I know people who are good at it, though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gone to the Sodhexo Marriot reception at the Museum of Science. Very cool!

The conference is also apparently a chance to see if you can suffer from the same sleep withdrawal that usually comes in late August when move-in is imminent. I was up by 6:30 yesterday and today, and won't get home tonight until at least 10, like last night. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. It's just a lot to do.

Tack on to this that tomorrow I co-host my first radio show on Babson College Radio, the country's first web-based college radio station. The show starts at 7 a.m. EST, so I'll understand if you all aren't tuned in. However, shows are archived, so you can listen to Laura DeVeau and my first airing of "Hey, Stop Doing That!" at your leisure. Although, from looking at the site right now, there's no link to archived shows. So trust me on that.

Well, off to find something to do. Got closed out of the first session I wanted to do (and was late to boot, so I didn't get in anywhere else), so it's time to see if there's anything during the second session I'm interested in (I don't think there is, but I don't want to waste the time). More later, perhaps.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...