19 November 2004

I think the person who came up with the metaphor of herding cats for a difficult task was, at some point, a middle school gym teacher.

At least, that's my theory based on my experiences this week, where I was involved with trying to corral up to 60 7th and 8th graders. Thankfully, there are three teachers, and the weather's been nice enough that outdoor stuff is available.

I think that gym has been the hardest subject to sub for so far given that the students are (a) semi-anonymous, and (b) in a large room with several exits, some out of the locker rooms. It went OK, but it was much more touch and go than regular classroom assignments where the students have work and there's one door.

Anyway, here's one for the P.E. teachers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm just chuckling - in my mind I see you in polyester coaches shorts (the ones with the sans-a-belt), an ill fitting cap, a stiff collared polo shirt and a whistle around your neck.

"Um, Coach Coen - I climbed up the rope too fast, and I feel, uh, funny."

- LD

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...