30 November 2004

While it's not at the Twilight Zone level of the Ron Zook or Frank Solich firings, I'm annoyed at Notre Dame's firing of Ty Willingham today.

Willingham becomes the first Notre Dame head coach to get fired before the end of his initial contract. I don't necessarily find that annoying, but it's irritating to think that lesser coaches (hello, Gerry Faust) got that consideration when they probably didn't deserve it.

More annoying is that Willingham spent three years installing a new offense, only to get canned just as he's starting to get all of the players recruited specifically for that offense into the starting lineup. Then again, the problem may be more defensive in nature (see the late losses to BC and Pitt and this past weekend's thumping by USC, which proves that I should watch the whole game as I didn't think it got that bad).

Most annoying - I don't think Willingham would have gotten the gate if Urban Meyer wasn't out there. Not that it's his fault; that lies squarely with the alumni, tout sheet writers, and other loudmouths who've been fueling the fire since September.

What it comes down to, I suppose, is that I'm irritated that Notre Dame is allowing itself to fall prey to the same inanities that bedevil other division 1A programs. I know they're not perfect, but the idea that Notre Dame approaches college football differently from other schools is in the ICU and fading. I suppose it was only a matter of time (and, of course, money).

1 comment:

Mark said...

Meyer can get out of his contract with ND, Ohio State, and one other school I can't remember right now.

Regarding Florida, you'd have to think they'd make reparations to Utah for Meyer, though I assume they'd need the school's permission to talk to him.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...