27 March 2005

After the first round of the Frozen Four:

Coen, Hight - 14 points
Sorenson, Barker - 12 points
Boggie, Bruce, Harper-Nixon - 10 points

Upset points work a whole lot better when there are, you know, upsets. The only one that's happened - North Dakota over BC - was picked by no one. Not surprising given the people involved, various upsets involving BU were picked but obviously came for naught. Harvard and Maine got their share of upset picks, with similar results.

Without giving too much away about the second round so far, yesterday did bust someone's bracket pretty seriously. So much for a repeat of the 1998 final.

In related news, I got an email back from Comcast regarding my question on ESPNU. My inquiry was passed along to the marketing department, and did I know that there is a sports package that I could buy? Not that any of those channels would have helped me yesterday, either. I'm not sure that sort of answer is one they wanted to append a link to a customer service survey to, but I was happy to comment on the "helpfulness" of their canned response. I don't expect a reply.

4 comments:

Craig Barker said...

Gee, let me think, picking Michigan and Boston College was probably not the best thing I could do. I'll just have to sooth myself with what looks like a possible victory in a couple of NCAA Basketball pools.

Damn it, first blown three goal lead since 1987!

CDB

Anonymous said...

Shawn and I are now ESPN U viewers ... they've included it on the BUTV campus television system. Good news for NCAA Hockey Tourney, the "U" covered every single game - hopefully, this will be great news for NCAA Hockey.

On the up side, the play-by-play and color team are folks who would traditionally be doing NHL games, and since there aren't any, we get to benefit. They seem to have done their homework and have good insight into how the different teams play.

On the odd side, the "in the studio" pairing was the first winner of ESPN's dream Job: Mike Hall. A cutie from Missouri ... and then there's his co-host: Bob Norton???? Oy. I just couldn't believe it. First, they have they chemistry of a game of rock-paper-scissors, secondly, Mike Hall is a bright-eyed "I'm just happy to be here" kind of kid. Where Bob is the same old Bob ... his "towny" schtick just doesn't fly.

Mark said...

If the trade-off from last weekend was not seeing games in order to have a Norton-free viewing experience, I can live with that. He's horrible.

Mike Burger suggested a Bob Norton drinking game where you drink whenever Norton mentions a player's hometown, high school, or high school coach. The point of the game, apparently, is to get alcohol poisoning before the opening face-off.

Anonymous said...

A good idea re: the game. It could be called Norton's get faced face-off! OK, I'm stretching here but it's a good first shot. - Laura

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...