17 May 2005

Today's first upfront: The WB.

THE NEW

Just Legal sounds a little too much like Barely Legal for my taste; I'm assuming it's Jerry Bruckheimer, as he's involved with both this show and with E-Ring. A better title would be Doogie Howser, JD, as this show is about a kid who graduates from law school at 18, and finds the only job offer comes from an ambulance chaser played by Don Johnson.

Woo hoo.

Supernatural is a cross between The X-Files and Route 66, as two brothers cross the country in their '69 Impala trying to do what their father can't: silence the supernatural forces that led to the death of their mother 20 years previously.

The show stars two "breakout" stars, one each from Gilmore Girls and Smallville, though I have no idea who they are. Hey, I'm a 35 year old male. I've not been in The WB's target demo for years, if ever.

This could work, and probably won't be hurt by airing after Gilmore Girls.

Related explores relationships through the lives of four sisters living in NYC(kind of a familial Sex and the City, no surprise as the WB show's creator also worked on this). I can't imagine this being better than the TBS re-runs of Sex and the City, but I suppose they'll do the best they can.

Most notable star is Laura San Giacomo, formerly of Just Shoot Me.

All of The WB's sitcoms are on the weekend now, and the lone new one is Twins. Beauty versus brains is the theme here, as a pair of twins (one book-smart, the other a lingerie model) take over the family undergarment business from their parents, who also embody the conflict (parents played by Melanie Griffith and Mark Linn-Baker; I'll let you decide which person embodies what quality).

Sara Gilbert plays the brainy twin; now if we can only get the kid who played DJ Conner a gig.

There are a bunch of mid-season possibilities, of which I'll only mention Misconceptions, a sitcom about a single mother (Jane Leeves) who finds out that her daughter wasn't the product of the Ivy League Sperm Bank, but some slacker who got his boys into cryo somehow. Will Ming Na get sued for malpractice?

THE OLD

Pretty much all the hour long shows are back, expect for Jack and Bobby. Living with Fran got picked up, for those of you still coasting on memories of The Nanny. Everwood gets moved to Thursday at 9 (eastern), putting it up against CSI, The Apprentice, and The OC. Ouch.

While the new stuff doesn't sound awful, I stopped watching The WB when Buffy moved to UPN, and I don't see myself going back.

1 comment:

James said...

My girlfriend is a *Reba* fan, so I've sat thru the WB Friday lineup more than once.

*Reba* is surprisingly OK in doses -- McEntire does have a flair for comedy, and she gets a boost from Melissa Peterman (who plays Reba's ex-husband's new wife), who deserves a sitcom of her own. But the show is woefully inconsistent, as they like to throw JTS moments out of left field (last week's episode was a good example).

I also caught the now-canceled *What I Like About You*. If a million monkeys typed on a million typewriters, they'd write scripts for this show. Beyond inane.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...