04 July 2005

On this day where we say Happy Birthday, America, the wife and I returned home from an event that was a slice of today's America: an Indian wedding in south Jersey.

I won't go too deeply into the details, other than to say it was an incredible time, I got to see the wife in a sari, and I learned that there is a particular spice/herb/flavoring used in some of the food that I just cannot tolerate. I find roughly 98 percent of Indian food delicious; the 2 percent that uses this specific item I can't even swallow.

The day before the wedding we got to go to the Phillies-Braves game at Citizens Bank Park. Good game, nice park, though I think I like PNC better. Sorry, Chris.

We did manage to avoid all of the Live 8-related nonsense. Unlike Cooch, I saw significantly less of the new shows than of the original. I'll leave it to the reader to determine if that's a good thing or not (though I think I know Greg's answer).

The worst part of the trip was, unsurprisingly, the beginning, as traffic from NYC to central Jersey was not good at all. Coming back today was a breeze, a definite argument for getting on the road early. We got back here in plenty of time to rest, watch The Crossing on the History Channel (Jeff Bridges Daniels as Washington? Surprisingly entertaining), and even figure out where to go to see fireworks.

Hope you all had as fun of a Fourth weekend as I did!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am betting the spice is asafoetida it smells awful before it's cooked (hence the nickname "devil's excrement"), but mellows when cooked.

Anytime I eat something with asafoetida I get hearburn within minutes. After a few bad experiences I asked an Indian friend who explained it, sure enough after trying the same dish with/without the asafoetida he was correct.

OTC

Mark said...

Does asafoetida have a flowery sort of taste? Whatever it was left me with the disctint feeling that I was eating the same thing they use for really nice bath soap.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I'd call if flowery, although it's hard to tell with so many flavors in the dishes.

Check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

They say an earthy/garlicky taste.

OTC

The Grim Reaper said...

I will agree that in terms of setting, PNC Park has Citizens Bank Park beat, but in terms of overall appeal, I'd rate them fairly even.

Chris

Craig Barker said...

OK, for the last time:

It was Jeff Daniels as General Washington. I've met the man three times, I have shown The Crossing each of the last three years in APUSH, it's Jeff Daniels. (And Roger Rees is pretty good as Gen. Mercer.)

Mark said...

What makes this worse, Craig, is that I almost referenced Dumb and Dumber when mentioning Daniels.

He must get that a lot.

Going back to the Indian food conundrum, I don't think it's asafoetida. I first encountered the taste I don't like when trying pan (or paan), which mostly involves betel nut and leaf. But I don't think it's the nut (it has a very distinct red color which wasn't present when the taste cropped up again), could be the leaf. Pan also uses various spices, but I've not been able to find a good listing of the most common ones. I'm guessing its one of those.

As for CBP v. PNC, I'd agree with you, Chris. My preference for PNC is almost totally related to the riverside setting. That and the availability of Primanti's (though the Schmitter is a quality substitute).

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...