30 June 2005

Had the chance to watch a goodly portion of today's Williams-Sharapova semi at Wimbeldon. It may have been the loudest tennis match I've ever watched. At one point an official requested quiet from the crowd, which made the NBC commentators chuckle given that neither woman would likely hear the chatter over their own grunting.

Somewhere, Melanie Hutsell weeps.

I don't watch as much tennis now as I used to, and I think it's related to something Sports Illustrated noted recently: the death of the serve-and-volley player. With all the baseline play, matches take on a certain Pong-like quality. And really, Pong isn't much of a game for spectating.

I know there are a couple of tennis fans among the (semi)-regular readership here. Thoughts from them are welcome, even if it is just to tell me I'm talking out of my blowhole.

Unrelated to tennis, I was amused by recent news that a guy in California wants the town of Weare, New Hampshire to seize Supreme Court Justice David Souter's farm house so the man can turn it into an inn - the Lost Liberty Inn. The inn will also reportedly feature the Just Desserts Cafe and an informational display on the loss of freedom in America. Just in case you didn't get the point from the name of the inn.

Sadly, I don't think Weare is close enough to anything to make the project enough of an economic gain to warrant the seizure. The town isn't all that close to the major ski areas or lakes to bring in the outdoor crowd. I suppose it's reasonably close to Concord, which might bring in folks who have business in the capital but want to avoid the hustle and bustle.

Entering the town into Citysearch brings back the closest attraction as Santa's Land USA. Which is in Putney, Vermont. Almost 40 miles away. The other two attractions that came back are located in Amesbury and Concord, Massachusetts.

Something tells me that the Weare Chamber of Commerce hasn't quite caught up with the Internet.

In any case, this officially makes Souter the Zeppo of the Supreme Court.

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...