13 June 2005

I had recent posts by Cooch and Craig collide today, as I got to experience our instant summer in several sweltering classrooms at the lyric bandbox that is my high school alma mater today.

(To be honest, the school is much less like the lyric bandbox of Fenway than the upholstered toilet that was Foxboro Stadium. Both were built on the cheap and in a hurry, and had resultant issues in their decades of operations. Sadly, people still have to face the issues at my high school.)

Given all the jerking around going on about building a new high school, I think a conclave to settle the matter, taking place in the room where I got to spend sixth and seventh periods, would wind up with a result within 24 hours.

I'd subbed for this teacher before, and can say without hesitation that the students seem more happy about this teacher's absence than any other that I've subbed for. There is one other teacher who is close, and not surprisingly they share several students. I leave what this says about the teachers - and the students - as an exercise for the reader.

And when I was done in the sauna, I got to the car and noticed that it had changed from its silvery-gray color to more of a yellow-green. The trees I'd parked under are apparently dropping pollen now. Given the wife's reaction to tree pollen earlier in the year, I then got to hose the car off in the heat, which worked out OK when the wind was right.

We also gave in to the heat and bought an air conditioner, which is working pretty well. The bedroom is nicely cooled, and while it's a small one it does help keep the temps down a bit in the rest of the apartment. I'm actually comfortable in the front room, which in heat like this is unusual. Two cheers for cheap small appliances!

No comments:

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...