14 June 2005

Can someone get me the section of the California penal code that calls for not guilty charges in cases involving famous people? It's a little flabbergasting that between OJ, Robert Blake and Jacko there's not a single conviction on any charge, felony or misdemeanor.

I suppose Winona Ryder's case suggests a lack of application if your transgression is actually captured on video.

Not that I was expecting Jacko to do time, but I thought he'd get hit with one of the misdemeanor charges.

I've also been struck with some of the juror comments, which suggest that juror nullifaction is now a self-starting process. I heard more about the alleged victim's mother than I did about evidence.

For reasons I still can't explain I watched the verdict come down on CNN. Wolf Blitzer tried to instill some fake meaning into Jacko's arrival at the courthouse by getting everyone to shut up and listen to the reaction of the arrival. All we got was some guy repeatedly yelling, "M! J! IN! NO! CENT!"

I can smell the Peabody Award from here.

Wolf didn't help himself by accidentally identifying LaToya as Janet. Should we be concerned that LaToya apparently had her nose re-done to look like Michael's? And that it looks a little, uh, snout-like on her?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I inferred that jury nullification was avoided in this case. The people I've seen interviewed have all said that they think he may very well have molested other kids, just not this one. That's the jury system the way it's supposed to work.

Hyph

Mark said...

That's what I get for paying attention to the sound bites of juror comments. You'd think I'd have learned by now.

Matt Bruce said...

We nailed Scott Peterson, though (and may yet fry him).

Mark said...

Peterson made the mistake of becoming infamous because of what he did rather than getting fame before committing his crimes. He clearly didn't read the Celebrity Not Guilty Act closely enough.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...