16 June 2005

Be careful what you wish for: after complaining about the heat being in the 90s to start the week, we are likely not heading out of the 50s today. Expect snow for the weekend, then a month of three-digit temps and crippling drought. Frogs to follow for the last week of July.

More irritating, though, is the teacher who tells their students that the work they'll be assigned when the sub is in won't be collected. You might as well give them a free pass to do whatever they want. On the plus side, the impending finals period did give many of these kids something to do, even if it wasn't the assignment I had for them.

2 comments:

Craig Barker said...

Oh goodness no, you can never ever ever do that. Even if you change your mind at the end of the hour (I mean, pretend to change your mind at the end of the hour), you still have to have the threat. My goodness, I am sure it was like freaking lord of the flies in there.

Mark said...

Being so close to finals was a huge help - most kids wound up studying for whatever test was closest or most difficult. I had one class that was problematic, but mostly by talking.

The teacher in this case seems to make a habit of assigning problems that won't be collected or even referred to again, at least if what the kids say is accurate. This also makes it hard for me to pretend like the questions are due at the end of the period, as I sometimes do if there's no indication whether or not an assignment is to be collected. I love being able to do that.

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...