08 June 2005

Proving once again that there is no limit to the things I'll talk about without actually being right, it appears that the New York City bid to host the 2012 Summer Olympics is dead. My prediction that they'd win dies with it.

Technically the bid is still alive, but the odds that NYC will win are nil given that plans for an Olympic stadium on the west side of Manhattan have fallen through. This also impacts the New York Jets, who were going to be regular tenants. Not that I care about them so much.

I imagine that New Yorkers are both saddened and elated at this result; they don't get to be even more of the world's focus, but they also get to avoid the seven year disruption that would come from hosting.

Articles about the process suggest that it's down to London and Paris. I suppose I'm rooting for London given the technical feasibility of going and staying with Sarah's relatives, though if I couldn't get to Salt Lake, what are the odds that I'm getting across the Atlantic, even with seven years to plan. Now if the Crowleys are still in Vancouver in 2010...

2 comments:

Paul Crowley said...

I'll be sure to include that in my list to my career manager of reasons why he needs to extend my tour here in Victoria until I retire in 2011 :-)

deborah said...

I had really mixed feelings about the prospects of the Olympics coming to NYC, as well as the prospects of building the West Side Stadium. Would have been nice to try and see some of the events and/or maybe volunteer. But I just can't imagine the traffic and masses of crowds added to our already massively crowded and traffic-snarled city. I can't even imagine what the permanent existence of a West Side Stadium would have done to the everyday traffic situation on the West Side -- from the GWB on down... oiy!

For want of anything better to post, here's a breakdown of if I've been to the most populous 100 cities in the US, and if so for how...